3. Jump Up and Say!

edited by Linda Goss and Clay Goss.

This is a small "collection of Black storytelling" that provides a wide range of themes and geographical perspectives on the Black experience. There is also a wide range in the quality of storytelling, in my opinion. Even some of the works by the famous Alice Walker and Zora Neal Hurston were lackluster stories, making me wonder what the editors' intensions were. I still don't know. It is not merely a collection of inspirational writing. Nor is it simply writing about identity. I don't know why these stories are put together as they are in this collection. I also don't know why there are four stories from William Faulkner (by far the most of any author in the book) in the very beginning.

But some of the stories were great. Anyway...

No comments: