4. The Road

by Cormac McCarthy

I picked up this one on the recommendation of the folks at Mount Benson. A father and son travel on foot along the roads of a timeless post-apocalyptic landscape. The world is gray, a gray ash falls endlessly leaving a gray dust on the gray world. The only other hue in the story is black, which is the vast fire burnt landscape revealed only where the cold wind has blown the ash away. They are starving. And walking. Get it? Really. It's that bleak. Whatever happened happened years before and pretty much all resources have been depleted. There is absolutely no life left but for an occasional fellow human, but none will dare to risk getting close. The potential for horror is high and the reader encounters it often (and in surprisingly creative ways).

As bleak and futureless as this world is, the father and son relationship is remarkably beautiful. A book of hopelessness and horror and yet a heartfelt tale of the best of human emotions.

I definitely recommend this book. It's really quite a good read.

2 comments:

Olman Feelyus said...

I've got Lantzvillager's copy of this book and it's sitting on my on deck shelf!

Lantzvillager said...

I wasn't sure where you were going with this review because at a certain point I was feeling the same way. Walking and walking some more...

My reading flaw is that I am a slave to a strong plotline. Nevertheless, I ended up enjoying the novel and am glad to hear that you did too.