9. A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khaled Hosseini

A few years ago this guy wrote his forst novel, The Kite Runner, which floored me. It is one of the best novels I've read. I was a little worried that his second novel would pale in comparison, or that it would turn out that he's just like so many other writers who have just that one genius book in them and don't know to quit, or that he'd try to force another Kite Runner, or that...

A Thousand Splendid Suns, is outstanding. It is comparable to Kite Runner in its emotional power and unflinching telling of how cruel and how loving people can be. Set entirely in Afghanistan, spanning from the 1960s into the 21st century, the novel tells of three generations of women who endure the whims of political despots, messy soviet communism, civil war and then their worst nightmare, the Taliban, and then US occupation, etc.

If you've read Kite Runner and wish for more from this guy, I can promise you that A Thousand Splendid Suns delivers... with perhaps more rewards.

I am more than relieved that Hosseini's second book kicks ass. This guy is great storyteller. I loved it. I couldn't put it down. It has expanded my mind about some things. It has strengthened my resolve about others. It has moved me deeply just as Kite Runner did. Powerful storytelling.

1 comment:

Jarrett said...

I'll add it to my "gonna-git-to-it" list.