1. The Business of Fancydancing

by Sherman Alexie

This is a small book of his stories and poems. His poetry has a clarity and simplicity that makes me glad about poetry again each time I read it. I read a lot of poetry and much of it is uptight, insecure bullshit. I'm afraid that might include my own. So reading Alexie's I feel at once so obviously not an Indian and that words have power when they are strung together with love and care.

There's love and care for words themselves, the reader, and for the subjects he writes about.

Also, he was very funny on The Colbert Report in late November:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/189691/october-28-2008/sherman-alexie

2 comments:

Olman Feelyus said...

I don't read much poetry, but every now and then I stumble across someone I really like. Would you be able to throw up a couple of your favorite lines in the post (and maybe do so with future poets you read) so I can get a quick taste of the flavour and style?

I think one of the modern trends is to mellow out and have some fun with poetry. My sister really likes the guy who was the Poet Laureate and I remember he had a poem about taking a shit in the woods that was really great.

Crumbolst said...

ll definitely add some lines. Thanks.