1. Frankenstein

by Mary Shelley

Wow, what a great novel.  This was my first time reading it. I put it off for a number of reasons, the top two being that I thought it would be like the classic 1931 film by he same name and that I tire easily from 18th century rich people writing.

It is 18th century rich people writing, but it is also a truly outstanding story.  There are many layers of frames to the narrative, all of which contribute to making a unbelievable story seem quite possible. I found myself wondering at the power and emotion of the tale. The being (it seems wrong to call it a monster after entertaining its point of view) makes one hell of a case for its right to exist and be... happy.  The pathos of the outcast is profound. That's not the tale I thought it would be.

Read it!



No comments: